For novices just starting out with Linux and/or Ubuntu, Jon can provide a step-by-step mentoring service by phone and email. Queries and problems will be dealt with promptly, and for difficult issues Jon will endeavour to find a solution or locate somebody who does. Some of the topics we can help you with:
- Ubuntu Linux -- installation, basic setup and productivity software including Firefox, Evolution and OpenOffice.
- Linux Mint -- installation, basic setup and productivity software including Firefox, Evolution and OpenOffice.
- Kubuntu -- installation, basic setup and productivity software including Firefox, Evolution and OpenOffice.
- Linux through the command line -- the command-line 'bash' system which allows users to install and run a huge range of utility programs, as well as creating their own 'batch' files for complex processing of documents or graphics.
- OpenOffice -- including Writer, Calc and Impress. Database basics can be covered if required.
- GIMP and other graphics -- Free open source graphics editing and collection maintenance programs.
- The Internet with Open Source -- Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin and Filezilla.
- Linux and Windows -- Includes dual booting, Wubi, Windows emulation programs like Wine, and virtualisation packages such as VBox which can create a Windows 'island' inside your Linux PC.
Any of these can be modified to suit individual requirements.
Rates for mentoring may vary with individual requirements, but the following can be taken as indicative:
For standard mentoring: $60 per contact or email hour plus GST.
Additional charges may be incurred for
- Travel time on home visits
- Preparation of resource materials on the web or elsewhere
- Referral to experts of difficult or persistent technical problems
for further details.